Acquisition refers to the channels that site visits come through to get to your site, or how your visits are acquired. An example of acquisition channels include:
- Organic which refers to visits that came from someone going to your site from organic search results.
- Direct which is when someone gets to your site by typing in your site address (ex: acsweb.com) or if they’ve bookmarked your site and used the bookmark to get to your site.
- Referral which is when another site has a link on their site that sends people to your site and the user on the other site clicks that link to arrive at your site. For example, syracuse.com includes a link to your site and someone goes to your site from that link--that visit to your site would be included in the referral acquisition group.
- Paid search is when someone gets to your site by clicking on a paid search result.
- Email is when someone gets to your site from a link in an email.
- Social is when someone goes to your site from a link on a social media site, such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Display is when someone gets to your site by clicking on your display ads, such as a banner ad.
- Other is when someone gets to your site via a campaign that includes certain tracking features.